Tuesday, October 14, 2014

{Ode to Daddy} 60th birthday

"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you, who by God's power are being guarded through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time." 1 Peter 1:3-5

My family tells stories, namely my mother. You know which stories will come up when we are discussing certain topics. My mother's eyes brighten and out comes the same story we have heard for the zillionth time. Us kids give each other looks like, oh great here it comes. But you know, years down the road I have realized it has given me a chance to write about it. Many cultures live off of stories that have been passed down from generation to generation. So thank you mom!

Today is my daddy's birthday! Thanks to my uncle and family preserving film footage, we have old black and white tapes...somewhere of my daddy as a child and tons of pics that spew nostalgia. {You mean people printed pictures, what is that?!} Being a history major and Scrapbooker these are certainly good times for myself flipping through pics from the past.

My dad was born in 1954. He was apart of the baby boomer generation. First my uncle Mark, then my uncle Paul, then later my daddy! He lived on the kind of street where everyone knew each other and when the first neighbors got a television it was like a neighborhood attraction. As my father got older he went to high school which was right down the street. This is where he met my mother. She had broken her foot  (or sprained it) and the story goes they were both in Future Farmers of America and he offered to carry her over the mud (as I remember). One of his pick-up lines was ¨Have you been to one of my parties?¨ My dad was a fun guy doing fun guy stuff like toilet papering rival schools' farm animals.

He was also a runner in high school and some of college (of which I got his running gene). In fact, when I was born my dad was at a track meet when he heard I was coming and drove as fast as he could to see mom and I in his little VW bug in the pouring rain. I will let dad write about that another time. Anyway...

My parents bought a mobile home thinking they would live in Anaheim, California but all the mobile home parks were for retirees. So it was the case that they moved to Riverside County, Perris. Here my dad worked at a grocery store and eventually chose night shift to put food on the shelves {In Finland they stock shelves Monday morning while I am trying to find my way around the employees}.

He managed baseball fields while my brothers played little league, {I can even taste the nachos and hot dogs right now} and was my track coach for one year too.

My dad had his job up until just before I got married. He pulled his back picking up a chlorine box. This got him thinking about his life. At the time I was attending a Christian university engaged to Mikko. Afterwards, as it goes he sought the Lord, and over the years I have seen real fruit from his faith and genuine added interest in the lives of his children. Clearly only the work of Christ and answer to many of my mother's prayers. 

I say this as an encouragement to my father. Although I am sure you would have done so many things differently as a husband and father if you could...Christ died for our shame and guilt. How beautiful it is that Christ is in the business of making all things new! This is the power of God for salvation of those who believe. And you believe!

I thank God he gave me father with a sense of humor. It is quite infectious, our whole family could have a whole conversation just cracking jokes {maybe difficult for Finns to understand, trust me, I am married to one ;)} 

I wonder why I take initiative to fix, build, create, and throw out ideas. Thanks to my parents for finding us property where I can do that and build forts out of the branches my daddy cut off. I spent a lot of time outside exploring the hills and neighborhood. And remember duct tape does wonders...

He played good music on a record player. Whenever I hear The Beatles, the Carpenters, or the Doors, I think of him.

I thought it hilarious when I asked my dad about how things worked. He would go out into long detailed information and sometimes I would remember getting lost. Just dawned on me that I do the same thing...

So...as not to get my audience lost. Happy Birthday daddy we love you! Love, Heidi





2 comments:

opahippydude said...

Thank you my lovely daughter!

opahippydude said...

Thank you my lovely daughter!